Whilst on a ‘Round The World’ trip, I remember being questioned by fellow travellers about my reasons for carrying a roll of tape with me so I thought this might be a worthwhile blog post. I am a proponent of adding duct tape to the list of travel ‘must haves’ because it has so many uses. Just ‘googling’ duct tape proves it.
The five main uses I had for duct tape whilst backpacking around the world were:
1. Strapping my shoe to hold it together to complete a trek in China
2. Putting tape over small holes in a door to maintain privacy
3. Fashioning a waterproof from a plastic sheet for fellow trekker
4. Keeping my backpack together when it started to fall apart
5. Fastening a piece of string to make a washing line
Rolls of duct tape tend to be large, which isn’t so good when you are travelling and tight for space. There are two solutions to this:
1. The following video shows a great way around this problem…
2. If that seems too much like hard work and you want a quicker and easier solution then do what I did – squeeze the roll of tape and it will compress down to a manageable travel size, as the photo shows…
What have you used duct tape for when travelling? Do you have another tip on how to reduce the size of it to make it more portable?